Welcome to the Compensation Choronicles!

Hello, and welcome to the Compensation Chronicles! My name is Henry Livingston and I am a senior at Vanderbilt University majoring in Economics and Human & Organizational Development. As part of the HOD major curriculum, I get to spend a semester as a full-time intern in a company and industry of my choosing.  This fall I am fortunate to be interning at a growing health care company in the Nashville Metro Area.

This blog will serve as a tool to document the knowledge that I obtain over the course of the semester in the area of (you guessed it!) compensation. While my official internship title is on the Information Systems team of the HR department, I knew that I was interested in the theory behind compensation and learning how pay ranges and benefits packages are determined. Most of the learning that I'll gain will take place on the job working with Senior Compensation Analysts and learning about the different steps they take and the resources that they use every day. I am excited to dive into this subject matter and come away from the internship with some compensation experience.

As a soon-to-be college graduate, I am applying to full-time jobs in various industries and parts of the country. Something everyone on the job market considers is how much a profession pays. As I enter this new world I want to get a better understanding of "how much I am worth" and how that is determined by employers. I am excited to learn how to "comp" an offer and share it with you all.

Whether you are a human resources professional looking for best practices on how to approach compensation or someone like me, looking to understand more about why we are paid the way we are, I hope you will find my posts interesting and helpful.


Comments